Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Grammar Police

I'm currently having a real problem with poor writing. I'm talking about other people's posts, blogs, commentary, etc. that can be found on line. I could sit here and rattle off a whole list of what I've come across on this fine day, alone, but I'd just get myself all worked up.

I'm no professional writer. I don't claim to spew the kind of prose worthy of the next great American novel. But (groan) I'm self-aware, self-respecting, self... (what is it, exactly?) enough to check and make sure I don't come off as some illiterate and babbling fool if I'm going to send it out there for the world to see.

I get that bad grammar isn't an easy fix. If you haven't mastered the art of verbs in past tense ("I wish I had went with my friends") chances are it's already erroneously ingrained into your noggin and a lost cause. But there is such a thing as spell-check. Click the damned button and give us all a break.

There ought to be a law.

No comments:

Post a Comment