Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Written a few weeks ago

I love to watch people do what the do best. There's a magic to the actual event as opposed to the product.

I'm sitting in the atrium of a shopping center, watching a group of musicians set up for a performance. I like watching the process. I like the familiarity with which they handle the tools of their trade. Objects that are unidentifiable to me bear the patina of use and age.

When I was studying architecture, I learned to use so many odd tools that were designed to aid in traditional drafting. Something that looked like a large razor blade was actually an eraser shield, and so on. Something had made this odd little piece of equipment necessary. Someone designed this singular contraption for a very specific use. I almost envy these little jewels. It's like their one limited use is validated by that same noble cause. They serve no other purpose, are not required to, and still are appreciated for the success with which they perform it.

We should all be so content to excel at one definitive thing. Whether it be cooking, auto mechanics, climbing, or tying our shoes, we should be able to carry one burden, one task, one talent to a level of perfection and be excused from all other trivialities. Just imagine the possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment