Saturday, June 13, 2009

Singing with the caged bird

I've added some links to some of the music that is, or has been interesting or beloved to me.

Certainly, this does not represent the whole of it, but I figure it's a good start for here and now. I'm sure I'll be adding to it, changing it around, and generally playing with the whole thing and including some blurb about why I've included it at all.

As for the ones that I've started with, let's break it down, shall we?

Make your Own Music Video.
A really cool site. This singer is from Spain and aside from creating a standard video for her latest hit, she also had a site made so that fans can "make their own" albeit under some established context. As it loads, there is a general explanation.

Translated:

Soy tu Aire is a song full of many and few, of orchestras and strings of voice. Of truths and lies, half told. And since you have ups and downs, we wanted to give you something so that you could move with the song.

A brush.
Because I am your air. Here we paint on the air.

Move where you want. Where the song takes you.
You will end up making your own work, one which you will have the option of replaying at the end.

When it's done loading, you get the Play prompt and upon clicking on it, the song begins and you use your mouse or mouse pad to control the drag of the brush. At the end, you can replay it by clicking on "Reproducir cancion" at the top left of the screen.

Soy tu Aire
This is the actual video with the singer from Spain. It's a lovely song, but had it not been for the video, I might never have come across it.

Le Drapeau
I'll be honest and say that I've not really listened to the song as much as I usually do. That said, it's not so bad that it's driven me away, so by default, I like it. What drew me to this was the animation. The images are reminiscent of a high quality graphic novel and I'd be lying if I didn't acknowledge that part of its charm is that it reminds me of one of my closests friends, an avid graphics novel fan.

La Scala
This is another international (Italian) song. She's not for everyone, as she has a sort of screechy quality to her voice. But I liked it. There's nothing in the least bit phenomenal about the video, which breaks my tendency to highlight those videos that have some kind of artistic quality. In case you haven't noticed, I gravitate to the aesthetically original. I like artists who push the envelope and demonstrate a new voice.

Cama y Mesa
That said, the next two songs are unapoligetically personal. These remind me of when I was a little girl. The singer is Brazilian and sings in both Portuguese and Spanish. The Spanish songs were a hit in Mexico in the 70s in that balladier genre much like Barry Manilow and Billy Joel.

Un Millon de Amigos
This song was always over the top sappy, which I JUST DON'T DO... except with this song. It's about wanting many friends to be able to sing and enjoy life, etc. It really wins the syrupy prize when you add the fact that my mom used to have her 1st grade class learn it for the yearly assemblies. Damned thing actually made me teary to hear a crowd of 6 year olds sing:

Yo solo quiero cantar me canto
Pero no quiero cantar solito
Yo quiero un coro de pajaritos

Translated:
I just want to sing my song
But I don't want to sing alone
I want a chorus of little birds.

I know... Wah!

1 comment:

  1. I remember the make-your-own-video. It was indeed a beautiful song and the video was beautiful. But I didn't really make it. The song made it through me.

    I will look for the other songs. I must say, even the titles are beautiful. And I definitely do sappy.

    And if I may suggest a few to you:

    One of my favorite bands is Swedish and called Garmarna, after the great hound that guarded the Norse Hel (one "L"). They sing in Swedish and their lyrics are all from Swedish folk tunes and stories. You can find English translations on their website, though.

    My favorite three songs are "Vanner och Frander", "Vedergallnigen" and "Gamen". Please excuse my lack of umlauts. Listen to them and read along with the English translations. It's an awesome experience.

    And one last one, Greek, of course, would be "Eleni" by Anna Vissi. Not only is it a beautiful song, but there's a beautiful story behind it. Eleni was a real little girl. She was ill and possibly dying and she wrote to Anna Vissi, asking for a song about her. And she got it. I honestly don't know what happened to the little girl - I've searched it and came up with nothing - but I hope she made it.

    Thank you for sharing this music. Music is a voice that transcends culture and language.

    ReplyDelete