Tuesday, June 9, 2009

This was to be expected.

A little writer's block goes a long way in shaking my already fragile ego. Seems I can conjure up a million things to write about on any given day, but put a computer in front of me and I dry up. Not sure what that's about.

So I have to pull out the heavy artillery. I'm going to have to tap into the things that inspire me and get my gears turning:
  • Music - this may backfire, as I can get so worked up by it that I can't sleep. I have to be careful of what I'm listening to and at what time of the day. Green Day at 1am is not a good idea.

  • Reading - you would think this would work, but it only rarely does. If I'm reading a novel, then it's a lost cause. All I'm interested in is finding out what happens next. But if I'm reading essays by the likes of Sedaris, Eggers, or Fulghum, then the wheels start spinning. Especially if there is humor involved.

  • Colors - Wierd, eh? But yes, colors really do it for me. This is actually a combination of colors and textures. Items like Indian silks with embroidery and soft shag throw pillows are real elixirs. The colors I particularly respond to are the saturated kind like forrest greens and olives and mandarin and royal blues and regal purples. The pastels do absolutely nothing for me. Too diluted.

So I'm thinking I have to decorate around here a little bit...

1 comment:

  1. Those are beautiful! And they are very inspiring, as you said.

    As for the reading... well, it may be silly, but reading a classic children's story like "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" or "Winnie the Pooh" (my two favorites) will most often do it. Or Shel Silverstein or those old Richard Scarry books for children.

    And like you, I get lost in music, so it's usually a no-go for me.

    ReplyDelete