Sunday, August 16, 2009

Music for Me

This week's Andrum's Conundrum:

If you could wake up tomorrow having gained one ability or quality, what would it be?

... was relatively easy again, for me. I've always wanted to be able to play either classical guitar or the piano. I think I might do well with piano since I picked up on typing quite easily in junior high [see: Bleeding Heart]. Back then, we were taught proper typing, as in exactly which finger is supposed to hit which key, and proper positions for your fingers. We got tested for accuracy as well as speed. I topped off at 50 and have been stuck there ever since. I understand that this is not particularly great, but it does the job for me.

As much as I believe I'd pick up on the piano quickly, the truth is that I'd prefer the guitar. I'm not sure why, but I'm sure its portability comes into play. Still, as much as I'd like to learn it, I suspect the learning process would be a frustrating one for me. Just as when you learn to type (in a formal setting) and start out unable to reconcile the keys to your finger positions, I'm sure that those hand positions would be the end of me. Nothing feels less natural than that. I'd like to be able to just play already, and not feel like I'm twisting my fingers into impossible contortions.

I'd like to be at a point where playing the guitar comes naturally. I don't have any kind of deep seeded need to fill stadiums or sign recording contracts. I just want to play at gatherings. Some of my favorite gatherings happened in Mexico City. Friends would show up with a variety of food and drink, and various instruments, and we'd sit around and hear everyone's latest composition, or sing some of the favorites. I always wanted to join in.

So that's my answer.

3 comments:

  1. Mine is simple. The ability to talk to people freely and easily. Small talk and but more so cold calling are simply put quite difficult for me. Not even the Irish gift of gab. Just comfort in talking to pople I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a BIG difference between being outgoing online and being outgoing in the face-to-face world. Much harder for me to talk freely with people until I've met them a few times.

    ReplyDelete