Tuesday, July 21, 2009

"Her Majesty is One Verb Short of a Sentence"

A handful of years ago, I read Jasper Fforde’s The Eyre Affair. Enchanted, I was. I followed it up with the second book, Lost in a Good Book. I was further taken. Much as I don’t take well to fantasy, this alternate reality was so well designed that it swallowed me right the heck up. Brilliant. The care that J.K. Rowling took to create Hogwarts and its rules and regulations is the same care that Fforde took to build this world where fictional characters exist outside of their novels and fairy tales.

Complete with a Judicial system and laws and central libraries that double as headquarters, the joy of bumping into any unforeseeable character was like a cameo by a favorite actor.

I'm at a loss to describe the true thoroughness with which this setting is constructed. And at a loss to explain the quirky, and eccentric characters and details throughout. Don’t believe me? I can do no better than to invite you to the Jasper Fforde website. But be forewarned: True to its intention, you can get lost in there. Hilarious links take you to unexpected discoveries.

Just brilliant.

1 comment:

  1. I dast not say a thing, so I'll just raise an eyebrow and smirk.

    ReplyDelete