Thursday, July 21, 2011

Speak and Ye Shall be Heard

Cousin of mine emailed me and asked about the origins of the title of this blog. I'm not sure I've explained it, so I thought I'd share it with those of you who read regularly:

N
epenthe is one of my favorite stops along Hwy 1 when I do the inevitable, occasional road trip. I always make it a point to stop there before dark so as to get the views. It's a beautiful restaurant and shop that butts up against the cliffs of the pacific, with a terrace that hangs over the flora and provides some truly serene views.

But, the title I gave my blog is a direct quote from The Raven: ..."respite and nepenthe from thy memories of Lenore".

I used to know about 7 stanzas of the long poem, now it's kind of fuzzy. But I remember that line just came to me when I was creating the blog. I wanted it to be a place of solace, comfort. A place to invite only people who were going to be sources of support and positivity. Mostly it was going to be a place to write about my favorite things: books, music, art. So I saw it as a bubble of happiness where the bad stuff could not enter. The words respite and nepenthe, coming from my all time favorite poem, and with their meaning encapsulating the ambiance so well, just seemed perfect.

As I write this, I've come to realize that more people are reading than is reflected on the little "followers" list. Most of you respond by email, only a couple of you ever really post a comment. And some of you just pick up the phone or wait till we see each other in "real life" to give me your feedback. Knowing this is a sort of mixed blessing: on the one hand it's mortifying to scramble and try to remember what I've written lately and whether anyone has taken offense to either content or my expressive [read: questionable language] style. On the other hand, I keep telling myself that if you've been invited to this little corner, it's because I've already reflected and consider you to be someone who knows me well enough to know that I'm neither perfect nor entertain any claims to be so. I've already identified you as someone that I feel safe being myself with. Thank you for that.

I'm glad you're reading.

2 comments:

  1. Further confusing are those of us who are perpetually 10 days behind in the blogs they read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chop, chop, pookie! Much catching up to do!

    ReplyDelete