Wednesday, June 4, 2014

March 14, 2014 - Pi Day! (I'm all over the place with dates now)

Back from grocery shopping and only 35 bucks poorer. God bless the Vietnamese market. Their produce and fresh meats are silly cheap. Of course it smells like dead animals over by the butcher section but that's because...well...there are dead animals. I had started to consider making a fish chowder instead of clam because I have a few frozen tilapias at home and might as well use what's here and not spend on the clams. But, the jar of fresh oysters is only four bucks! Small jar, of course, but then it's only little ole me that I need to feed. By the time I round out the chowder with some 'taters and celery, that's gonna feed me for two days. Happy me.

I was in line to pay and there was an older, Asian gentleman ahead of me and he stared at me for a bit (some people have been known to think I'm beautiful, you see) and then the dialog went thusly: 

Man: um, excuse me...?
Me: yeah?
Man: can you explain...(motions at my t-shirt with his finger)

Me: oh! It's a series of math equations and symbols.
Man: yeah, but I'm already stumped on the first one.
Me: it's the equation for the square root of negative one which is impossible so it's called an imaginary number represented by the letter "i".

And then I took him through the rest until we put it together, etc., and then I mentioned that I'm wearing it because today is Pi Day. Then I had to point out the date today and the number for Pi...ah! Got it.

Bet you've never seen a Mexican explain complex math to an Asian.

Also he asked if I knew of any place that has good fish tacos so I steered him towards that new place in Huntington Beach that is so good.

In (continued) honor of Pi Day, I bought a mini pie for my tutoring client so she can take it home with her after our lesson tonight. You know me. I like to go all out and nerd it up.

In a few minutes I'll make the chowder and have a light, early dinner so that I can work on tonight's lesson before my appointment. Right now, I'm on my belly, under the lemon tree, cooling off from sitting in a hot car.

No comments:

Post a Comment