Wednesday, June 4, 2014

May 9, 2014 - The Family Grows

I got new fish babies!

I was cleaning out the fountain earlier this morning before even going out to get the fish and I saw the hawk fly over head. Does the dang bird read minds?! I haven't even bought 'em yet!  Sheesh!

Later, I was acclimating the little guys when the crows started to gather. One at first and then it became this Hitchcock moment as they started to gather on the phone cable that crosses the back of our yard. Luckily, the mockingbirds weren't having it and asserted their no-crows-in-the-backyard rule by chasing them away.

As for the fish selection, don't laugh. I got the already accorded-to goldfish and as the guy in the exotic fish store attended to my request (I gave him the breakdown of living situation, experience, limitations, etc.,) he says to me, he says, "Take some guppies!".... "Uh... come again..." I'd always considered guppies to be sort of... well... disposable. For the ingestion of other pets like when I had a frog, a toad, a red-eared slider. Nice guy explained that they're great for eating mosquito larvae and eggs, which is why I started keeping fish in the first place, years ago. He said to just take a buck's worth and I figured what's a dollar and added them to the golds and the two high fin banded shark fish (I gave them a pep talk about helping me with maintenance of the fountain). We'll see how they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment