Monday, June 14, 2010

Oh, Happy Day!!!

Happiness abounds, I am joy incarnate, bliss is mine!

Mabel (my laptop*) came out of her coma at Fry's like some petulant child who will only respond to an authoritative doctor. I didn't even scold her, such was my euphoria at her strong recovery. Seems she just needed to be reset and is like new again. I even bought her a sleeve to wear when I tote her around in my book bag. And a flash drive. She's not putting me through this shit again.

::skips off to her happy place::

*To anyone who might be interested in the more superfluous details of my life (like that doesn't apply to everything in here...but I digress), yes, my laptop's name is Mabel. I name the more participatory objects in my life, such is my bond with them. For what it's worth, they pretty much tell me their name and I just accept it. Past cars have been Guinevere (license plate had GVR in it), Miep (she facilitated my access to the world), and Blue Boy (very nondescript and generally too anonymous to inspire much more than that). Laptops have only been two: Zelda (an HP of the ZE line), and currently Mabel (IBM backwards with two vowels inserted and the "I" becomes an "L"... work with me, people).

As much as I used to love Zelda, I have to admit, Mabel is a much better match for me. She's more compact and lighter. She's an older-model ThinkPad and not huge like those newer laptops. I also prefer her LED monitor to those new shiny ones. Dunno why, I guess the reflection on those new ones just bugs me. I suspect that when Mabel does meet her tragic end, I'll probably get another ThinkPad. It has lots of interesting features that even the newer models don't have right at your fingertips. It's really well designed. Me likey.

No comments:

Post a Comment