Friday, March 11, 2011

Earth and Sea

Last night, the earthquake in Japan was originally reported as 7.9. Later it went up to 8.8, then 8.9. The footage was horrifying. Especially the tsunami video. Incredibly, it's the first time we get live footage of a tsunami, from professional entities, and as it happens instead of the survivor's home video off of a phone or something. I found myself having to actively tell myself that this was no special effects trick for a movie. Those were real buildings and cars getting swallowed up. People lived through that. Or didn't. I'm torn between being fascinated at the power of it - in terms of Mother Nature's wonders - and feeling that we shouldn't be watching what may be some people's lives being ended.

*Image: http://www.flickr.com/photos/shereen84/2320321157/

2 comments:

  1. To quote one of your favorites, Mr Wilde:

    "I didn't say I liked it, I said it fascinated me. There's a difference."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfectly said, George. Or should I say, Mr. Wilde...

    ReplyDelete