Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Forks in the Road

I've been formally educated in the field of Art. I started my professional life practicing in the field of Science. I eventually returned to the field of Art, but not in a position that reflected or even allowed me to put forth my truest abilities.

Currently, I work in the commercial aspect of a manufacturing company. I'm probably more happily situated here than anywhere I have been in my lengthy professional career. Not only do I enjoy the meticulous and analytical aspects of the position, but I do believe I've made noticeable strides. I only dare to conclude this because of one conversation that I overheard and a comment that was made in front of me.

The conversation I overheard was that of the company's Controller who was on the phone with an external contact. He proceeded to give said contact my contact information and a quick explanation of who I was. "She's been with us for a while now and is, by far, the best we've had. Her work ethic is tremendous."

The comment made in front of me was made by the owner of the company at a meeting, also with external contacts. He introduced me: "We've had some challenges over the years but she's phenomenal at this position and has been able to clean up past problems, so I trust her completely."

Yes, I'm patting myself on the back. I don't believe that doing so should be a negative quality. Everyone should be clearly in tune with their strengths. I think we get bogged down by the more-often offered knocks in life so we don't know what to do with the star-stickers on our foreheads. Such a shame.

Make your list. Tell yourself what it is you're good at. Remind yourself of your strengths.

*Image: Thanks to Dave Kellet's Sheldon strip for repeatedly representing me in so many ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment