Wednesday, May 4, 2011

To Each Her Learning Methods

I’m not so much in charge of quality control as I am in charge of inventory at my current position. Still this requires an understanding of various aspects of the components that we purchase as well as finished products that we manufacture. Some of our purchased products make it up to my office for review or further understanding of the purchasing constraints and factors. For a few weeks now, a number of large poster-board sized sheets of specs that were brought to me for my perusal have remained, leaning against my wall.

I don’t like clutter. The first thing I did when I moved into that office was clean up the piles of documents and files that seemed to be heaped up on each other with no rhyme or reason. In the bustle of learning and taking on increasing responsibilities, the spec sheets remained propped up against the wall. I don’t have any kind of storage set-up for that kind and size object, and it’s not really something we have to file away. As I said, it was brought up for me, so that I could better understand the layout of some of our components.

Today, I decided it was time to toss them, but just to be sure, I thought I’d give each spec a thorough review before I threw them out. So I got to it. Most of the co-workers had left for the day when the floor supervisor walked past my door. Then he doubled back.

I was sitting, cross-legged, in the middle of the floor of my office, with poster board all around me.

Boss: …Um…

Me: I have to put this in my head before I throw it away.

Boss: Of course.


*Image: binbin.net

No comments:

Post a Comment