Sunday, May 1, 2011

Zoo Additions


Our little family continues to grow. This weekend, I was tending to the yard and discovered that the mockingbird nest in the rose tree is boasting three new babies. I never would have noticed except that the parents were flying back and forth, carting every manner of insect to their brood and every time they perched on the nest, the three babies would screech something awful. 'Nuff to raise the dead.

So, I went over to see what the ruckus was, thinking one of the cats had made it up to the pergola and discovered the nest. But no, it was the babies, all stretched and screaming, mouths open awaiting dinner. I congratulated the proud momma (or poppa, I dunno) and briefly considered helping them collect more bugs, but then I got back to watering, knowing fully well they were perfectly capable of providing for their little rugrats and would be just fine without me.

Today I had lunch in the patio and watched the insect-carting dance continue as I ate my chicken and quinoa meal. They're darned ugly. Can't wait 'til they start looking fuzzy and cute.


*Image: sport-studio.net

No comments:

Post a Comment