Wednesday, May 11, 2011

To Sleep, Perchance to Dream...

I really, really need to work on getting to bed at a reasonable hour. I've always been terrible about getting anywhere near the healthy 8 hours of sleep per night that one should get. As I get older, though, I do need to pay better attention to my basic habits, and sleep is one I've neglected for far too long.

This is outside of my bank of knowledge. If anyone has any good ideas about how to adopt a strict schedule for at least 7 hours per night for this chronic night owl, I'm willing to hear ya out.


*Image: photobucket.com

2 comments:

  1. Build a routine. Follow it every night, even weekend. Same time every night. This will teach your brain it's time to slow down and go to sleep.

    But you have to be disciplined; you can't just do this sometimes. Stay off the computer and television for an hour before you sleep.

    For me:
    Meds. Walk dogs. Make sure doors are locked. Prep coffee for tomorrow. Jammies. Floss and brush. One sudoku. Ten minutes reading. Lights out. ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz

    ReplyDelete
  2. George,
    I can always count on you to parallel my common sense approach. I think this is at the core of why we get along. Yes, we live by routines and can thrive on them when well-established. I read somewhere that just like we set an alarm to get up, we should set one to go to sleep. A fascinating strategy, one with the promise of Pavlovian results.

    I like your routine. My problem with reading is that thirty-four chapters later, I'm on a roll and it's 3:19 in the morning. Lately, I've taken to falling asleep to a podcast,but that means that I'm dealing with the computer.

    I'm determined to get to the bottom of this. It'll happen.

    ReplyDelete